The KU Writing Center is committed to supporting the needs of all writers at the University of Kansas, including international and domestic students whose first or home language is not English.
Writing Consultants can help you by...
- Listening to your concerns about writing and collaborating on a plan to address those concerns.
- Discussing how you want to approach your assignments.
- Talking about the organization and structure or your writing project.
- Using writers handbooks to review and model grammar, punctuation, and documentation rules.
- Showing you how to incorporate outside sources into your writing and properly cite those sources.
- Explaining how to use vocabulary and idiomatic phrases in your writing.
- Reviewing conventions of academic writing in North American colleges.
A typical writing consultation...
- Lasts about 40 minutes (for undergraduate students) or 55 minutes (for graduate students).
- Begins with the consultant and writer collaboratively setting an agenda for the meeting.
- Focuses on a 1-3 writing issues that you've prioritized.
- Ends with the creation of a plan for the next steps you'll take to work on your own and the completion of a short report form.
- Respects your confidentiality. You are given the option to share your report form with an instructor, and we respect your choice to do so (or not).
- Includes a follow-up survey sent to you via email after your appointment.
Graduate students can see our programs that support graduate-level writing by clicking here.
The websites below include resources for teachers of English as well as for students who are learning English. These websites include resources such as grammar lessons, pronounciation guides, dictionaries, and games.